making sense of a gene family for biologists
Gene Family (GF) is an automated webserver to help biologists identify, explore, and visualize the gene family intra- and inter-species. GF provides a 'one-click' pipeline which comprises the following four modules that can be executed independently or collectively: Gene Family Identification, Diversity, Characterization, and Evolution.
- Easy to operate and simple to setup: simply select a protein or prepare a protein sequence to start analysis.
- Automatic interfaces and interactive visualizations of 10 analyses, including gene family identification, multiple sequence alignment, phylogenetic trees construction, member structure characterization, and expansion and selective events analysis, etc.
- 140 mammals and 19,632 proteins available for analysis.
Gene Family Identification
- Identify based on protein domain conservation and sequence similarity
- Provide feature information and protein sequences of candidate gene family members
- Visualize multiple sequence alignment and phylogenetic trees
Gene Family Diversity
- Outline the gene number and status of the family members
Gene Family Characterization
- Discover motif in target gene family
- Characterize member structure
- Map member to chromosome (or scaffold)
- Browse the genomic neighborhood of member
Gene Family Evolution
- Perform collinearity analysis within and among species to find expansion event(s)
- Calculate Ka/Ks to recognize selective event(s)